Monday, June 30, 2008

FINALLY!

(Reposted from Cafemom, I am so excited to have a pediatrician who listens and respects my beliefs)



Today was the first time I went to a doctor (any type) and I left feeling confident and happy.

I've had a lot of bad experiences with doctors over the last few years. I've struggled to find like-minded physicians who don't discredit alternative medicine and embrace other ways of thinking. Although I am still on the search for a general practitioner who embraces these values, I have now found a pediatric practice that I absolutely adore.

After my terrible experience with my original pediatrician regarding Davin's 2 month shots, I was on the hunt for someone who would at least respect the way I feel. I came across a practice through Dr. Sears' website, that looked promising.

On their website I saw traces of what I believed were alternative ways of thinking. Many of the pediatricians bios included training in homeopathic medicine. I was a little nervous that not every person in this practice would follow this mindset, because that would just be too good to be true (over 10 peds/np's in the office). Their schedules were booked and I was placed with a doctor who had no mention of holistic medicine in her bio.

I swallowed my fears, got my information ready and went in with an open mind.

Inside the waiting room, I saw a pamphlet on treating certain illnesses with herbs/homeopathic remedies. This was my first good sign. I also saw the waiver for immunizations, another good sign that they have this so readily available.

Davin saw Dr. Lisa Miller and I cannot say enough good things about her. She listened to my concerns and really cared. She validated my fears on the dangers of certain vaccinations and made me feel respected. The motto of this practice is: "Medicine is ultimately in the hands of the provider- parents always have the last say". I felt empowered. She even asked MY opinion on certain pediatric herbal formulas and asked for suggestions on any products my mom prescribes. I was in awe. How many times does a doctor ask YOU for your opinion?

She was warm, friendly, and CARED. She respected the way I felt and never made me feel stupid or ashamed for my beliefs.

I signed the vax waiver and was told that I would be telling THEM when and how to start vaccinating my child. How absolutely wonderful is that.

Really, the end all of this experience for me was when *SHE* changed my son's diaper for me during the exam. It was as if she cared for this child as much as I do.

I am so thankful to have found someone who listens and cares and UNDERSTANDS. It was definitely worth the wait.

2 comments:

Jess said...

There's nothing better than an understanding ped!

Mrs Swan said...

OK that is pretty cool! Glad you found someone you like!!